What is a Crisis?
If you are in crisis, dial 2-1-1 from anywhere in Connecticut.
2-1-1 is certified by
the American Association of Suicidology. If you live outside of Connecticut use the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline which is
A crisis is a time-limited, emotional reaction to an unexpected and potentially harmful event or a difficult developmental transition.
What Feelings are Associated with a Crisis?
Common emotional reactions to a crisis include:
- Loss of self-esteem
What Types of Crises Exist?
- Dispositional crises
- Anticipated life transitions
- Traumatic stress
- Maturational/developmental crises
- Psychopathological crises
- Psychiatric emergencies
What are the goals of Crisis Intervention?
- Reduce tension
- Accurately assess the source and meaning of the caller's stress
- Clarify cognitive perceptions; reframe distortions
- Provide emotional support, not false reassurance
- Develop adaptive problem-solving skills
- Utilize existing resources to provide support