OPERATION FUEL: 2014-2015
WHAT IS OPERATION FUEL?
Operation Fuel (www.operationfuel.org/) provides cash assistance for heating expenses for households with incomes at or below 60% of the State Median Income guidelines who are in crisis. Local fuel banks assess client eligibility and make payments to vendors. Operation Fuel is a private charitable program.
BENEFIT AMOUNT: Operation Fuel
awards grants for the Winter, Spring and Summer
seasons. The grants are used for heat and non-heat
source expenses. Amount of assistance is up to the
discretion of the local fuel bank. Payments are made
directly to fuel or utility vendors. Note:
Spring and Summer programs provide assistance for gas
and electric utilities only.
- Household income at or below 60% of the State Median Income
- Must have exhausted, or been denied or are ineligible, for state heating assistance benefits
- Heating oil customers may apply if they are out of oil and are unable to get an appointment for state heating assistance benefits for at least 30 days.
- Applicants may apply if they have experienced a job loss, and are collecting, or have exhausted, unemployment benefits, or have very limited income (such as disability, Social Security, etc.)
- A household must be in an extreme emergency or financial crisis situation. A "financial crisis" is considered to be a situation in which a family must choose between paying for their energy needs, buying food, paying the rent or mortgage, or paying medical bills as a result of unemployment, illness, death, or other emergencies.
HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE:
- Call your local Operation Fuel fuel bank and make an appointment for an energy assistance assessment.
TIMETABLE: Applications are accepted starting
December 1, 2014 for the Winter Program.
CONTRIBUTING TO OPERATION FUEL:
Operation Fuel is funded by direct private donations, state dollars, and the Add-a-Dollar program through gas and electric utility companies. Through the Add-a-Dollar program, utility customers can choose to add a dollar to their utility payments. All Add-a-Dollar contributions are matched by the utility company, effectively doubling the customers' contributions for Operation Fuel.
TO FIND PROVIDERS IN CONNECTICUT'S COMMUNITY RESOURCES DATABASE:
• Search by program name: Operation
SOURCE: Operation Fuel fact sheets;Operation Fuel
PREPARED BY: 211/pt
CONTENT LAST REVIEWED: November2014