WHAT IS MERCURY?
Mercury is a silver
colored liquid metal. It has been used in many
household, medical and industrial products.
WHY WORRY ABOUT MERCURY?
performs many useful functions in our workplaces
and homes, it is toxic and can impair our
health. Mercury acts as a poison to the central
nervous system in humans. Children, especially
those under the age of 6, are more susceptible
to mercury poisoning.
REPLACE MERCURY THERMOMETERS
The Department of
Energy and Environmental Protection highly
recommends replacing mercury fever thermometers
with non-mercury alternatives. There are digital
thermometers and one time temperature strips.
Digital thermometers contain a button cell
battery that contains a very small amount of
mercury. Bring mercury-containing items such as
therometers, thermostats, flourescent lights,
and button cell batteries to a household
hazardous waste collection site.
The Department of Energy and Environmental
Protection hotline provides information about
the state's Mercury Education and Reduction
law. For mercury spills, contact the
DEEP's Emergency Spill and Response Prevention
Division. For questions regarding
potential mercury poisoning, contact the Poison
Control Center at the UCONN Health Center.
TO FIND PROVIDERS IN CONNECTICUT'S
COMMUNITY RESOURCES DATABASE:
Search by program name: Mercury
For more information about mercury
Connecticut Department of Energy and
SOURCE: Conecticut. Department
of Environmental Protection
PREPARED BY: 211/lb
CONTENT LAST REVIEWED: March2013