MED-CONNECT/MEDICAID FOR THE EMPLOYED DISABLED
Federal and state funded program administered by the Connecticut State Department of Social Services (DSS), http://www.ct.gov/dss/cwp/view.asp?a=2353&q=305220.
Connecticut residents who meet Social Security’s definition of disability and are employed and paying FICA taxes (or have wage stubs proving earnings if not paying FICA taxes), may be eligible for Medicaid even though their income and assets are higher than the usual income and asset restrictions for Medicaid.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Individual must meet Social Security's definition of disabled and be employed.
- Individual may have income up to $75,000 annually. Earned income (employment) and unearned income (Social Security, pensions, etc.) are considered.
- Individuals with impairment related work expenses may qualify with income above $75,000.
- A spouse’s income is not considered in the determination of initial eligibility.
- Liquid assets for a single individual must be below $10,000; for couples below $15,000. Homes are not countable assets; cars used for getting to work or medical appointments are not countable assets.
- Money held in retirement accounts, individual development accounts, medical accounts, and accounts for disability-related expenses are not counted as assets.
PERSONAL CARE ASSISTANCE WAIVER
In addition to all regular Medicaid covered health care services, people eligible for this program who are in need of personal care assistance will also be eligible for PCA (Personal Care Assistance) Waiver Program.
Individuals found eligible under this coverage group may be charged a premium. Premium amounts will vary according to income, but will never be more than 10% of income over 200% of the Federal Poverty Level. A spouse’s income is considered when determining the premium amount.
WHERE TO APPLY: Apply at regional DSS offices.
TO FIND PROVIDERS IN CONNECTICUT'S COMMUNITY
Search by Program Name: Med-Connect/Medicaid for the Employed Disabled.
SOURCE: Connecticut Department of Social Services
IPREPARED BY: 211/rj
CONTENT LAST REVIEWED: July2014