The following is summarized from the website of the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP):|  Permits to carry guns are issued through the Special Licenses and Firearms Unit of DESPP.


In order to get a Connecticut State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers, applicants in Connecticut must first apply for, and be granted a local pistol permit.  Applications can be obtained at your local police department, city or town hall, or First Selectman's office.   Out of state residents apply directly to the Connecticut State Police, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit. The application contains instructions for obtaining the permit. There is a $70.00 fee. It generally takes eight weeks to get the permit.  The permit is valid for 60 days and can not be used to purchase firearms. Once you have a Temporary State Permit, you can apply for the Connecticut State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers at the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection in Middletown. You must bring a copy of your Local Permit, a check or money order for $35.00, made out to Treasurer, State of Connecticut, and a current photo I.D., such as a driver’s license.

NOTE:  Effective April 1, 2014 you will be required to have either a pistol permit, eligibility certificate for pistol or revolver or a eligibility certificate for long gun in order to purchase firearms and legal magazines.  Hunting licenses and 14-day waiting periods for long gun purchases will be obsolete.

CHANGE OF ADDRESS ON PERMIT: A change of address on your permit is required within 48 hours of your move. Call the Department of Public Safety to report a change of address.

PERMIT RULES AND RESTRICTIONS: The permit is valid for five years from date of issue unless it is revoked or suspended. A permit may be kept if the applicant moves out of state provided that they notify the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit of their change of address and continue to renew their permit. Only people who are permit holders, along with Eligibility Certificate holders and sworn police officers, may purchase a handgun. These restrictions also apply to the purchaser of any handgun that you sell. Contact the Department of Public Safety for information on selling a handgun.

ASSAULT WEAPONS: Permits are NOT issued for assault weapons. Only law enforcement and military personnel may possess assault weapons for their official duties. Contact the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection for further information on who is eligible to obtain a Certificate of Possession for assault weapons.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: Answers to questions about the firearms permit process can be found at the DESPP website and at the website of the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners: (

Search by service name: Firearm Permits


SOURCE: Connecticut Department of Public Safety website; Board of Firearms Permit Examiners website